Because of low player numbers in the U14s this year, the clubs have gotten together and decided to hold a 7s Championship. We all feel its important at this age group that the boys keep playing, rather than missing a year.
The Illawarra U14 7s Championship will look like this:
- 4 clubs will be fielding teams – Bowral, University, Kiama and Campelltown. We hope more clubs will join as the season progresses.
- Tournaments will be held every 2-3 weeks, hosted by the clubs on a rotation basis – at the moment this means we will have 8 tournaments plus the Canberra 7s and Southern Highlands 7s. The current tournament schedule can be found here: http://bowralrugby.com.au/info-for-players/fixtures-tables/u14s/
- Each team will play each other team in the pool games, with points awarded for each win or draw.
- The pool games will then be followed by a play-off between 3rd and 4th for the Plate, and between 1st and 2nd for the Cup.
- The 7s Championship will be run along the same lines as the World Rugby 7s, i.e. all teams will earn points at each tournament for Cup winner and runner-up, and Plate winner and runner-up. The winner of the 7s Championship will either be the aggregate points winner over the season, or (more likely) decided at a Grand Final Tournament.
7s is fast and fun and the boys love it. Its less physical than 15s rugby but is great for fitness. The tournament structure also gives the boys something to aim for each tournament, and over the course of the season.
Round 1 of the 7s Championship will be this weekend at University Oval, Wollongong. The draw for Round 1 is attached here: